Learn how to the Bowls 3Five format – dedicated to our Twilight Bowls Tournament teams.
Bowls3Five is the fast format of the game; it’s two bowl triples, with each game played over two sets, and each set consisting of five ends. There are three levels of competition so that everyone interested can have a go.
Depending on the competition you play in, you can face a set number of ends, a shot clock, a tiebreaker, a start time, (unlike the long format of the game) a finish time and potentially a tv crew! Bowls 3 Five aims to fit into busy lifestyles of those finding themselves short on time but still wish to compete in sport and stay active or those who are stepping up to accept the challenge the shorter format provides.
The three different levels are – a social format for twilight competitions, a nationwide interclub competition and the Twilight Bowls 3 Five television league.
THE RULES – BOWLS 3FIVE
- Each team for a game shall consist of three players of any combination.
- Each player shall play with two bowls.
- Each game shall be played over two sets, each set consisting of five ends.
- The winner of a set will be the team with the highest number of shots after five ends.
- If the shots are tied at the end of five ends, the set will be a draw.
- If the game is tied at after the two sets have been completed (each team winning one set or each set has drawn) a one end tie-breaker shall be played to decide the game-winner.
- At the beginning of the game the teams shall toss a coin, the winner of the toss shall decide which team shall go first.
- The winner of the first set shall have the mat and first bowl of the second set. If the first set is drawn, then the winner of the last scoring end in that set shall have the mat and first bowl of the second set.
- In a tie-breaker situation the opposing skips shall toss a coin, the winner of the toss has the option as in 7 above.
- If the end is killed the jack shall be re-spotted on the 2-metre mark.
To find out when our next round of Twilight Bowls is taking place at the Tauranga Bowling Club, CLICK HERE